1.10.2011

wiley reads.

1. juliet, naked by nick hornby - i am a huge fan of nick hornby.  mostly for his great girl-meets-boy stories, but especially when he throws in a touch of music.  this book was described as going back to his roots of music and messy relationships (just like high fidelity, my favorite hornby novel) and it did not disappoint. it was a quick and fun read and as usual, hornby creates main characters that are completely relatable.  with lots of questions on art, love and how to combine the two, this novel is a must-read for any hornby fans out there or anyone who wants to be reminded about what true passion for something feels like.

2. seductive poison: a jonestown survivor's story of life and death in the people's temple by deborah layton - it feels like there are not enough words to fairly describe this book.  it is compelling beyond almost anything i have read and i could not put it down.  deborah layton describes her life as a member of the people's temple and her horrific time in guyana.  i read the entirety of layton's biography in about three days.  when it was described to me as a thriller i have to admit that i was unsure i would agree.  in the end, after three days of heart-pounding action, i needed to take a deep deep breath.  a word to the wise, read this book!

3. middlesex by jeffrey eugenides - maybe i'm the last person to read this book, but it was well worth the wait.  my friend lin (aka my bookswap soulmate) knew i would love the way eugenides weaves language, lives and generations together in this story about the triumphs and tribulations of one family.  i don't want to give anything away if you have yet to read this book, but the narrator is one of my most recent favorites and although it took me awhile to get through the entire book, it was mostly because i read many of the paragraphs over and over again because they were so lyrically beautiful.

4. love walked in by marisa de los santos - this book is very loved by a few of my family members and my sister leant me her copy over the holiday break.  it was such a great read and so quick and light.  the perfect book for a snow day or a quick flight or train ride.  it is the story of how the life of a thirty-something cafe manager and a lost little girl become intertwined.  each of thier stories have heartbreaks and high points and the main character's references to old books and films added a special little treat for me.

now it's your turn.
tell me what i need to read next.

3 comments:

  1. I love your write up of Middlesex! Fits the book so well. And I agree on re-reading sentences, chapters and sometimes whole pages... you just want to experience the words again and again!

    Great review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently finished Sarah Gruen's Water for Elephants and the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Both are highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you haven't already, read Elizabeth Gilbert's Commited. I'm still not done with it but I'm already in love. It's a fascinating look at marriage, full of helpful facts and research studies. I've already made many mental notes :)

    ReplyDelete